Diarrhoea is a condition in which a person suffers from loose watery stools. Diarrhoea is generally not a disease by itself but a symptom of an underlying functional or organic disease. Most cases of diarrhoea are due to bacterial, viruses or parasites.
Acute diarrhoea : Acute diarrhea is characterized by sudden onset and frequent passage of watery stools. the patient may even pass several stools in an hour.
- Abdominal bloating or cramps
- Thin or loose stools
- Watery stool
- sense of urgency to have a bowel movement
- Nausea or vomiting
- Bacterial and parasitic infection leading to gastro-intestinal infection through contaminated water.
- Food allergy or sensitivity towards a specific food and faulty feeding practices.
- Protein energy malnutrition (PEM) and deficiency of vitamins
- Food poisoning
- Psychological factors like anxiety, tension etc
- Reaction to medicines.