Chronic diarrhea persists for a longer time, even several weeks and the patient may pass 4-5 unformed stools in a day. The rapid passage of food through the intestines does not allow sufficient time for the absorption of other nutrients and thus nutritional deficiency may occur.
- Blood, mucus or undigested food in the stool.
- Weight loss
- Malabsorption syndroms like celiac disease and lactose intolerance
- Metabolic diseases like diabetes mellitus, uremia
- Alcohol abuse
- Diseases of the intestine (such as Crohan’s disease or ulcerative colitis)
- Hydrating the body is essential to recovering from diarrhea.
- Eating a recovery diet.
- Avoiding certain food.
- Click here for more guidelines and diet plan.